Sunday, August 19, 2007

Amen!

Valiantly the warrior strides, across the quiet battlefield. The war is over, its spoils looted and the victory meticulously recorded for posterity. Thirty thousand have avenged the 300 who stood their ground and died at Xerxes sword. Curtains!!! Credits!!!!
Around me, the waters have crept up steadily....It had been raining quite heavily for sometime now...I looked out of my porthole and saw a steady downpour....Mumbai decidedly slushy....Would be quite a conquest to challenge the elements and try for any outdoor stuff.... I'd rather stay indoors and watch Man U take on Manchester City. Ominous clouds loom up in the sky and make the decision for me....its pouring now, and any thought of hitting the city goes into the bin.
The Barracks are group of solid, imposing structures by the sea. Co-inhabited by like-minded bachelors from across the country, they offer a large cross-section of the Indian society for study. Who'd care for such a study I wonder???
I like these buildings...no, its not about any facet of remarkable architecture, it's the ethos that I admire, of 'all for one, and one for all' as the Musketeers put it....Men-at-arms do care for the camaraderie, mind you....So I have a place to go on lazy, rainy days, and thence I departed.
I'm here at the Barracks, and a few of the staff raise their hands in weary salute....Beautiful weather, sahib!!! Kam se kam, the cars are getting washed!!!
Loud music blares out form an open doorway into the corridors...Jat is at home. I find him negotiating the complicated task(s) of working on his computer, talking on the phone, smoking a cigg and having a cup of tea(they call it tea here, but that's a different story). "Have to go on duty man, you guys could've told you'd be coming??!!" Jat vents his disgust at me."Enjoy!"say I and proceed to make myself comfortable.

No comments: